Discovering Science being Allah’s Way (Sunnat)
Subtitle: Covid-19 & Allah’s Way (Sunnat)
- The definitions of intellect, knowledge, and Science have been examined and their inter-relationship established
- The Scientific necessity (Pre-requisites) has been established and its limitations outlined
- Conclusive Scientific basis commencing environment of ‘Nothingness’ or ‘nonexistence’ giving way to only one logical conclusion leading to the existence of Allah and Allah alone has been identified
- Allah’s Way (Sunnat) has been revisited
- Scientific Elements incorporated in Allah’s Absolute Justice (Adl) have been revisited
- The logic behind Scientific Cul-de-Sac leading to Allah’s Way (Sunnat) has been brought forward
- The Scientific indicators under the current environment in the light of Allah’s Way (Sunnat) have been reviewed
- The examples thereof including Covid-19 crisis, the correlation between blood relationship and genetic disorder, forbidden women under Islamic law, the Islamic way of killing animals, Pig meat and derivatives, intoxicants, drug abuse, and addictions have been outlined
The history of challenging Allah and the consequences thereof has been revisited
- A way out for the crises has been identified
- Intellect and Knowledge
- Definitions of Science
- The Scientific Necessity
- Science and its Limits
- Beyond ‘Nothingness’ or ‘Non-Existence’: Allah & Allah alone
- Scientific Dead-end (Cul-de-Sac)
- Allah’s very first creation-Intellect
- The Mother of Science i.e. Intellect based Knowledge (Ilm)
- Limitations of Knowledge-based Science
- Allah’s Way (Sunnat)
- Allah’s Way (Sunnat) and Science
- Allah’s Absolute Justice (Adl)
- Science leading to Allah’s Way (Sunnat)
- Scientific Indicators and Allah’s Way under Current Environments
14.1 Covid-19 Crisis
14.2 Blood relationship and chances of genetic disorder
14.3 Islamic Way of killing the animal
14.4 Pig Meat and Derivatives
14.5 Intoxicants, Drug Abuse & Addictions
- Challenging Allah and Consequences thereof
- Seeking Forgiveness
1. Intellect and Knowledge:
Knowledge being a function of the intellect thrives in intellectual environments.
Allah insists on the use of the faculty of intellect bestowed by Him on man, to be resorted to, for observing, evaluating, assessing and analyzing with reasoning and arriving at conclusions. The results of such exercise as a whole, including all details contained therein, may be termed as knowledge (Ilm). The knowledge, therefore, is the sum total of all the results of the collected information and experience.
Other definitions of knowledge (Ilm) generally in use in the Western World and those summarised by Franz Rosenthal (Source: Wikipedia) may be referred to, if so desired.
2. Definitions of Science:
A few of the prevailing definitions of science are as follows:
- Science is the intellectual or practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical or natural world through experiment and observation
- Science is the knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding
- Science is a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of the general laws
- Science is the careful study of the structure and behavior of the physical world
- Science and Knowledge: Science is the pursuit and application of knowledge and understanding of the natural and social world following a systematic methodology based on evidence. Science, therefore, stands out as being a function of the knowledge itself.
3. The Scientific Necessity:
Any or all the definitions of Science, inclusive of (1 to 5) above, require physical entities to be in place in order to allow the adoption of any scientific methodology or application thereof.
Accordingly, it is a scientific necessity to have an existing entity in place, before it is acted upon. No scientific act can occur if there is nothing to act upon
4. Science and its Limits:
Science is a knowledge-based commodity or collection of concepts. It works on the basis of the study of nature and known scientific laws at a given time. The quantum, nature, and reliability of scientific laws, during any era, therefore, are ever-changing. However, scientific applications could not enter into the domains of absolute unknowns such as:
- ‘Big Bang’ out of ‘Nothing’:
- The very first instance of initiation of genetic process out of ‘Nothing’
5. Beyond ‘Nothingness’ or ‘Non-Existence’: Allah & Allah alone:
The occurrences identified above, point out to the presence of ‘Something’ extraordinarily prevalent causing absolute ‘Nothingness’ to give way to the very first signs of ‘Being’ such as ‘Big Bang’ or the existence of first-ever genetic activity. The extraordinarily prevalent is none other than Allah Himself. The science, neither caters for nothingness nor shall ever do so, being applicable to the laws pertaining to any or all physical existences, which in itself are Allah’s creations. The conclusion that emerges, leads to the non-applicability of science in the environments of ‘Nothingness’.
The same, however, could not be said about the ‘Intellect’ which leads to the existence of ‘Allah’ and the emergence of knowledge-based science.
6. Scientific Dead-end (Cul-de-Sac):
It follows that all ‘Beings’ have emerged from Allah, and shall ultimately return to Him, once the end of the universe is reached. The rule applies to each and every created entity without ever becoming the creator itself. In other words, Allah himself is the source of everything contained in a ‘Being’. That includes spirit (Ruh) as well as all material non-material components. Since the only source of a ‘Being’ in its entirety is Allah alone, as things can not scientifically emerge from ‘Nothingness”. The centuries-old riddle of the existence and the non-existence, therefore, stands resolved based on the logic and scientific reasoning which stands fully confirmed by Allah’s emphatic declarations in the holy Quran.
” Verily, when he intends a thing, His command is ‘Be’ and ‘It is”(Yasin-36: 82)
Allah who is not a created being. He is different from all created entities, which have all been created by Him without any help. Allah’s unique introduction to Himself below is considered as a closing statement in this regard.
” Say: He is Allah the one. Allah is independent. He does not beget nor He is begotten. There is no one like Him”(Ikhlas-112: 01-04)
If anyone wishes to have a feel of His grandeur and power (Ayut-al-Kursi) quoted below must be adequate to satisfy him:
” Allah! there is no god save He, the ever-living, self-subsisting (by whom all subsist). Slumber does not seize Him, nor does sleep; to Him belongs whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. Who is he who can intercede with Him, except by His permission? He knows what is before them, and what is behind them, while they cannot comprehend anything out of His knowledge save what He wills. His throne (knowledge) extends over the heavens and the earth and the preservation of them does not tire Him, and He is the most high and the great”(Baqara-2: 255)
How could anyone be so naive to use science as a tool to disprove the existence of such a God (Allah)? While science is nothing but knowledge of laws created by Him?
” It is not for any soul to believe except by Allah’s permission, while He lays uncleanliness (of infidelity) on those who do not contemplate”(Yunus-10: 100)
In other words, the potential to think about the Universe and the creations using intellect bestowed on human beings is obligatory. Accordingly, to seek knowledge (Ilm) and using it, is a necessity and a duty. The obligation to contemplate is the characteristic that stands out as Adams’s superiority over Iblis. The demonstrated potential, both in a spiritual and physical sense put together, convinced the angels concerning the superiority of Adam and to prostrate to him as commanded by Allah.
7. Allah’s very first creation-Intellect:
The first thing Allah created was the intellect and the ignorance subsequently. The other Divine creations followed.
8. The Mother of Science i.e. Intellect based Knowledge (Ilm):
Bestowed by Allah on Adam. He being the owner of the all-encompassing knowledge (Ilm) and it’s only absolute source. Allah’s gift of the intellect to mankind (children of Adam), which resulted in the acquisition of the knowledge (Ilm) and its use, makes it singularly different from all other creations.
“And verily, We shall recount their whole story with knowledge, for We were never absent (at any time or place)”(Araf-7: 07)
9. Limitations of Knowledge based Science:
” For when their messengers came to them with clear proofs, they exulted in the knowledge which was with them, and what they used to mock encompassed them”(Mumin-40: 83)
The verse refers to those who exult (take pride) of their contemporary knowledge (understanding) of some of the laws governing the creation of the Universe. They remain oblivious to the fact that they are merely discovering only some of the details of the laws made by Allah. At any particular place and time, scientific knowledge may not be perfect leaving much to be discovered later; but established scientific laws stand out as Allah’s decrees/commandments and being Allah’s Way (Sunnat) must be complied with. Inclusive therein, but not limited to, are all scientific known and unknown norms.
10. Allah’s Way (Sunnat): (Following contribution from an unknown source is acknowledged with thanks)
The term ‘sunna’ occurs fourteen times in nine Quranic verses. It is used in four verses in the expression ‘Sunnat al-Awwalin’ or the ‘sunna of the ancients.’ The term ‘sunna’ is usually interpreted as meaning ‘example’ or ‘fate’, but it is a more general concept that means ‘way,’ ‘practice, ‘course,’ ‘tradition,’ ‘habit,’ ‘state,’ or ‘situation.’ So ‘Sunnat al-Awwalin’ should mean ‘the way or practice of the ancients.’ These are three of ‘ four verses: (Anfal-8: 38) (Hijr-15: 13): (Kahf-18: 55)
The term ‘sunna’ appears eight times in five verses in the expression ‘Sunnat Allah’ or the ‘way of Allah.’ (Ahzab-33: 38 & 62):(Mumin-40: 85): (Fat-h-48: 23)
One of these verses has both expressions ‘Sunnat al-Awwalin’ and ‘Sunnat Allah’:(Fatir-35: 43) Finally, this verse uses the term ‘sunna’ twice, first in reference to the way of the messengers that God sent before Muhammad and then in the expression ‘Sunnatuna (Our way),’ meaning God’s way:
” This was our way with those of messengers whom We sent before you, and you shall not find a change in Our way(Bani Israil-17: 77)
11. Allah’s Way (Sunnat) and Science:
Allah’s Way (Sunnat Allah) is not limited to the way of messengers (including that of the Holy Prophet). It includes the entire range of His laws, decrees, and commandments pertaining to the universe itself.
Simultaneously, it has also been clearly declared that no change in Allah’s Way (Sunnat) shall ever be found or discovered.
Allah’s decree in a scientific language (Yasin 37-40) clearly identifies that the entire universe ceaselessly follows His decrees (full range of scientific laws) without fail.
12. Allah’s Absolute Justice (Adl):
(i) (Al-Mizan:The Scale): (Rahman-55: 7-9):
Scientific balance pertaining to all acts in the universe which in case of mankind applies to a balance in all acts without transgressing.
(ii) Allah’s beneficence (Rahmaniyyat)/ (Al-Mizan:The Scale)/(Sajdah:Prostration):
(Rahman-55: 5-9): The precise laws, made by Allah, governing the universe, bear witness to Allah’s wisdom and absolute justice and also to His favors to His creatures. Man relies upon the laws operating the universe and, without fear of an arbitrary change, directs his activities in the light of knowledge he has acquired about its working.
Although Allah has absolute power over all things yet it is His absolute justice (Adl), a consequence of His beneficence (Rahmaniyyat) that He makes no arbitrary changes in His laws (Allah’s Sunnat). Otherwise, there would be chaos and disorder in the universe. This fact of order and harmony was made known to man at a time when only conjecture and superstitions prevailed. It gave stimulus and sense of direction to man to observe, contemplate, and find out the laws operating the creation (References: Jathiya-45: 5: Anbiya-21: 20 & 33: Yasin-36; 37-40)
13. Science leading to Allah’s Way (Sunnat):
(i) Science is nothing but Allah’s Way (Sunnat). However, scientific knowledge at any given time being imperfect, may not always be conclusive; which only reflects a lack of understanding of ‘Allah’s Laws’ by the children of Adam, at a given time and instance.
Directionally, science is an assured indicator of Allah’s Way (Sunnat). Based on evidence and intellect, compliance to the established laws of science may, therefore, be construed obligatory, being Allah’s Way (Sunnat) overriding other considerations.
The considerations pertaining to the forbidden women, as identified in (Nisa-4: 23), are entirely consistent with modern-day science being Allah’s Way (Sunnat).
14. Scientific Indicators and Allah’s Way under Current Environments:
This section deals with specific cases where attention needs to be paid to the scientific findings being Allah’s Way (Sunnat):
14.1 Covid-19 Crisis:
The available scientific evidence and data have conclusively established that Covid-19 thrives and progresses through physical contact. The social
distancing should, therefore, be accepted as Allah’s Way (Sunnat) and complied with as being worship in itself. In line with the findings, all congregation activities such as Friday Prayers, Umrah, Hajj, Ziarat, Majalis, Taraweh, Dars, etc may remain deferred or, carried on at an absolutely miniature scale involving no more than a few individuals, till the Covid-19 threat disappears. Doing otherwise must be taken as a sin, as
unintentionally, one may be endangering the lives of others. It must not be forgotten that Allah has declared that ‘ Saving one life is as saving the entire humanity and vice versa’.
14.2 Blood relationship and chances of genetic disorder:
(i) Marriages between people who are related are common occurrences. Unlike what many people think, their offspring are not doomed to birth defects or medical problems.
In fact, unless both parents carry the same gene mutation, the couple’s chance of having a healthy child is almost as high as any other couple.
(ii) Genetically speaking, the closer one is to a family member, the more genes will be shared. Monozygotic (identical) twins have the same genetic make-up and share 100% of their genes. A parent and child share half their genes, as do siblings. An uncle and his niece, or an aunt and her nephew (a second-degree relationship) share a quarter of their genes.
(iii) Conclusive Finding: The sharing of a significant proportion of their genes, couples are at risk of having a child with “double dose” of a faulty gene with accompanying consequences.
(iv) Consider Allah’s commandment below:
” Forbidden to you are your mothers, and your daughters, and your sisters, and your paternal aunts, and your maternal aunts, and the daughters of a brother, and the daughters of a sister, and your foster mothers, and the mothers of your wives, and your stepdaughters under your guardianship, (born) of your wives to whom you have gone in, but if you have not gone into them, then it is no sin for you (to marry them); and the wives of your sons who are from your own loins; and marrying two sisters (at one and the same time), except what has already happened in the past; verily, Allah is forgiving merciful”(Nisa-4: 23)
The list of ‘forbidden women’ based on relationship (Nisa-4: 23) largely consists of blood relationships besides incorporating a few desirable social norms. The consistency between scientific finding and Allah’s Way (Sunnat) is unmistakable. No wonder that the scientific finding is entirely in line with Allah’s Way (Sunnat)
14.3 Islamic Way of killing the animal:
The blood that does not drain out of the animal’s body, contaminates the meat completely, be it in a chicken, cow or a goat. This
clotted blood ruins the freshness of the meat and becomes the cause for multiple illnesses when the humans eat it.
The butchers, who slaughter the animal in a haram way, which is also known as the ‘Jhatka’ – chop the head off the animal completely, especially a chicken. This results in discretion of the brain and heart; which makes the heart stop pumping and beating blood in a jiffy. With no driving force left to push the blood out of the body, the blood stagnates in the veins and arteries, contaminating the blood and causing it to affect the meat.
Science proves that blood is the most capable medium of bacterial growth. This contaminated meat makes the human body more vulnerable to infections and considerable pain in the joints, due to the rising uric acid level in the blood. No wonder that the scientific finding is entirely in line with Allah’s Way (Sunnat).
14.4 Pig Meat and Derivatives:
Among all animal meats pork is the filthiest diet to consume by human beings. Pig is the cradle of harmful germs. Scientific evidence proves that pig meat is least healthy having different harmful agents like Cholesterol and Fatty Acids, Bacteria and Toxins and a number of parasites. The pig meat is high in fat and cholesterol that causes cardiovascular diseases, obesity, the incidence of large intestine cancer. Bacteria and Toxins associated with pigs spread many diseases like salmonellosis, which leads to acute gastroenteritis and diarrhea. Many other diseases like, Tuberculosis, Yersiniosis,
Listeriosis, Leptospirosis, Brucellosis, Smallpox, Influenza, Anthrax, Balantidial dysentery, Foot rot, Cholera and Erysipeloid are attributed to pork consumption.
Parasitic Diseases Ascaris, Ancylostomiasis, Toxoplasmosis, Trichinellosis, Cysticercosis showing signs of mental disorders, pneumonia, bleeding of the lungs (haemoptysis), which may lead to death or madness. The patient may become blind and deaf. Nitrates used in pork and pork products as additives are converted into nitrosamines which cause hepatic cell tumors. Flesh of the pork is hard to digest and may lead to chronic digestive disturbances. Pimples, boils, cysts are common in pork eaters. The pig excretory system secretes 2 percent of its uric acid that is injurious for
Scientific findings are fully in line with Allah’s commandment.
14.5 Intoxicants and Drug Abuse & Addictions:
The Muslims of today, especially the youth, are facing many problems and temptations that were not there before. The youth are easily distracted by activities such as addiction to TV, video games, gambling, disco, parties, and addiction to drugs.
The harmful effects of drugs on youth, the family, and society are important. Besides, intoxicants are forbidden in Islam.
(i) Types of intoxicants:
An intoxicant is any substance (liquid, solid, or gas) that is voluntarily taken into the body by swallowing, injection, inhaling or ingesting, which
produces an effect on the brain resulting in a change of the mood of the individual.
a. Examples of intoxicants are alcohol, wine, beer, spirits, homemade alcoholic brews, all forms of drugs such as cocaine, heroin, etc.
b. All intoxicants are totally forbidden (Haraam), irrespective of the quantity that is used; even one drop of alcohol is forbidden; it is not the quantity that is important – the substance itself is forbidden. The use of medicine being an exception.
c. There are many types of drugs available on the market. The general effect of all drugs is basically very similar, though they differ in their speed of action as well as the severity of the harm on the body. All drugs directly affect the brain, since this is the only way of causing mood changes. Some examples of drugs are as follows:
- Heroin, (upper drug): highly addictive opiate; gives very high rush, followed by many hours of fogginess; the addict lives day today for the next fix.
- Marijuana, (downer drug): affects the parts of the brain that deal with emotions and memory.
- Alcohol, (downer drug): impairs judgments, memory lapses, blackouts.
- Cocaine, (upper drug): whether in powder form or crack, it is a highly addictive stimulant; addict loses interest in school, family, work, etc.
- Vapor Inhalants (downer drug): (glue, petrol, hair spray, paint thinners, etc.) destroy the protective layers around the brain cells.
- Ecstasy (upper drug): powerful amphetamine that causes problems in concentration and causes the person to find difficulty in realizing the difference between fantasy and reality.
- LSD (upper drug): gives a distorted view of time and space; causes paranoia, confusion, panic attacks.
- Steroids (upper drug): used by bodybuilders to gain muscles; causes mood changes and permanently impairs learning and memory.
d. Harmful effects of drugs on Brain the Super Computer: It is an amazing organ, with virtually limitless potential- it is a Gift from Allah; it has to be protected and cherished and its full potential must be utilized. The moment any person takes a drug into the body (either by nose, mouth or vein) the drug enters the bloodstream and goes directly to the brain, crosses the blood-brain barrier (BBB) and occupies various receptor sites in the brain. This leads to alteration in the chemical and electrical neuronal functioning of the brain which also leads to eventual organic damage to this delicate, yet powerful organ. These changes in the brain are what causes the state of ‘addiction’- eventually, the body automatically starts craving for the damaging drug leading to a vicious cycle of abuse and further damage.
However, other body organs that are damaged include the following: damaged nasal septum; collapsed & clotted veins; kidney, liver & lung failure to various degrees; damage to the brain; infected needles causes Hepatitis Infection and HIV/AIDS.
Social effects: The person indulged in the usage of intoxicants displays anti-social behavior such as: staying away from home; stealing; crime; job loss; withdrawal from the community; embarrassing behavior in public; deterioration in relationship with parents or wife or children. The most harmful effect of drugs is on the brain.
The above write-up (contribution from an unknown source; acknowledged with thanks) is another evidence of Science being no stranger to Allah’s Way (Sunnat). Indeed, as always, it remains the function of knowledge-based Science achieving the level of discovery; whereas Allah’s Way (Sunnat) has clearly defined the same in the holy Quran centuries in advance.
15. Challenging Allah and Consequences thereof:
Allah’s curse and punishment on people who belied messengers and challenged Allah are described in the Holy Quran enlisting their crimes and consequences of the same.
- Nuh: (Anbiya:21: 76: Ashshuara:112-120): Crime: Disobeying Prophet and Challenging Allah
- Lut: (Anbiya:21: 71&74: Ashshuara:160-173):Crime: Homosexuality, Disbelieving in the Prophet and Challenging Allah
- Ad (Prophet Hud): (Ashshuara:26: 123-139): Crime: Disobeying Prophet and Challenging Allah
- Thamud (Prophet Saleh): (Araf-7: 74-78): Crime: Disobeying Prophet and Challenging Allah
- Dwellers of Forest (Prophet Shu-ayb): (Ashshuara: 176-189): Crime: Fraud, Cheating, Spreading Corruption, Making Mischief in the Earth, Disobeying Prophet and Challenging Allah
- Firawn (Prophet Musa): (Ashshuara: 10-66): Disobeying Prophet and Challenging Allah
- Have the listed crimes altogether vanished from the scene in the modern world?
- Does the legalization of homosexuality and license to un-inhibited sexual contact in the Western World no longer exist?
- Have the descriptions of these crimes in the holy Quran and the earlier original books (Tawrat and Injil) been abrogated?
- Have the widespread corruption, cheating, fraud, making mischief in the land done away within all the Muslim countries?
- Has Allah unilaterally decided to change His Way (Sunnat)?
The answer to all the above is an emphatic NO!
No doubt then, that Allah’s curse and punishment is right around the corner. The Covid-19, Bush fires, Earthquakes, Floods, etc may only be the warning shots with worse to follow!
16. Seeking Forgiveness:
An individual and collective seeking of forgiveness from Allah in the true footsteps of the Prophet Yunus may be the only course open to the
mankind with little or no time left under their belt: Yunus (Anbiya: 21: 87 & 88): Seeking Allah’s forgiveness and getting the same in return:
” (Remember) Yunus (Dhun nun), when he went away in anger and imagined that We would never straighten him; then he cried out from the darkness: There is no god but You. Glory be to You. Verily, I was of the unjust”(Anbiya-21: 87)
- Science, a by-product of intellect based knowledge, which in itself is a function of other variables and is not an absolute entity, leads to a scientific cul-de-sac terminating at the existence of Allah and Allah alone.
- All scientific laws are incorporated in Allah’s Way (Sunnat). The discovery of the same is an ongoing process and shall always remain so as both the intellect and knowledge of mankind has limit endowed by Allah Himself and does not carry the infinite potential to emulate the Creator.
- The continued departure from Allah’s Way (Sunnat) is sure to lead mankind in ever enhancing disgrace in this world and destined consequences hereafter
This writeup is essentially an editorial cum compilation effort. The credit, if any, belongs to earlier workers. No attempt has been made to appropriately list each individually. A collective acknowledgment is due to all such sources with gratitude.
An apology is also due with respect to errors, omissions, etc with regrets for the inconvenience that it may cause.